About the Program
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree from the Ophthalmic Dispensing program at TCI College can provide you with knowledge and hands-on skills you need to become an optician, an eye care professional who fills prescriptions for corrective eyewear, in accordance with an ophthalmologist’s or optometrist’s determination.
Combining an in-depth study of optics and medical anatomy with dispensing knowledge and finishing skills so you can provide patients with suitable, well-fitted eyeglasses or contact lenses, this two-year program prepares you for national certifying examinations given by the American Board of Optician and The National Contact Lens Examiners. At TCI, you’ll also benefit from:
- Hands-on experience with on-campus laboratories and dispensaries resembling those in the optical industry and patient contact and dispensing experience via an on-site clinical internship.
- Training on state-of-the-industry instrumentation and machinery, gaining competence in all aspects of being an optician, from fabrication to the dispensing of the finished product.
- Eligibility for entrance to the New York State Professional Licensing Examination for Ophthalmic Dispensing once you successfully complete the program.
- Flexible scheduling that enables you to fulfill your classroom requirements in as little as three days a week.
- Access to financial aid that can help make earning your ophthalmic dispensing degree more affordable than you may think.
No High School Diploma? We Have an Option for You. Complete your high school education while you get your degree in our Career Pathways Program.
National Certification Examinations: How TCI Graduates Perform
Advance your Career—or Your Education
TCI College graduates who earn their associate degree in ophthalmic dispensing go on to a variety of careers in the field such as optical business owner or store manager, contact lens fitter and dispenser, and lens and frame company representative. Others go on to continue their education at four-year colleges that share TCI’s New York State Board of Regents State or Middle States Commission on Higher Education Regional Accreditations.