HVAC & Refrigeration Technology
Want to Get Started?
Career Profiles of Graduates
- Control Technician
- Climate control engineer for specialized facilities
- HVAC Design companies
- Service personnel for Utility Companies
- Private Contracting
- HVAC Product Manufacturer
- Government Agency Analyst
- Merchandising and Sales Representative
- Service Tech Installer
- Plant Operator
- Superintendent/Facility Manager
- HVAC/R Mechanic
Both Degree and Certificate programs are available through HVAC and Refrigeration Technology. The Degree program length is two years*, while the Certificate program takes 12 months to complete.
We develop professionals knowledgeable in the installation, operation and repair of climate control systems; new and old. Particular emphasis is placed on commercial, industrial and residential climate control equipment for low rise, high-rise and computerized “smart buildings”.
The program includes hands-on laboratories featuring a variety of equipment: small room air conditioners, central air conditioning units, commercial freezers, refrigerators, and heating technologies. The curriculum includes courses in safety, design and energy management that will prepare them for the ever-expanding industry.
In addition, the graduate is prepared to obtain Industry Certification Exams (ICE) for Light Commercial or Residential, North American Technician Excellence exam (NATE) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Section 608, Refrigerant Reclaiming Technician Certification Program.
- Principles of Refrigeration
- Electric Circuit Analysis
- Commercial Systems Analysis and Service
- Commercial and Residential
- Air Conditioning Laboratory I & II
- Safety Codes
- Energy Management
- New trends and regulations in building design
- Operation and maintenance of HVAC/R equipment
Degrees, Certificates & Accreditations
- Associates Degree – Associates of Occupational Studies
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Section 608 Certificate
- Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) Certificate
- Industry Competency Examination (ICE) Certificate *
- New York City Fire Department Certificates of Fitness
- Federal OSHA 10-hour General Industry Certificate *
- New York State Board of Regents State Accreditation
- Middle States Commission on HigherEducation Regional Accreditation
* Full course offerings are available over the summer to accelerate your time to degree completion to under two years.