Is the Human Services program right for YOU?
Are you patient, understanding, and compassionate?
Do you enjoy working with people?
Would you like to help others live more productive and fulfilling lives?
If you answered yes to these questions, then you should consider a Human Services major at TCI.
What is Human Services?
Human Services is a broad field that covers a number of different careers, including: social workers, psychologists, caseworkers, guidance counselors, psychiatrists, victim advocates, educators and many others. The reason why these careers fall under the umbrella of Human Services is that they all share a common goal - provide assistance to those in need and help people self-actualize and reach their maximum potential. If you'd like to be a part of the helping profession, a Huamn Services major is right for yu. According to U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, career opportunities for social and human service assistance is expected to grow by 28 percent from 2010 to 2020.
What will you learn?
You will learn the necessary skills and techniques to help you find employment opportunities that are right for you. You will also have a strong academic foundation to move further in your pursuit of higher education should you choose to do so.
What are the courses that you'll be taking?
- General and Abnormal Psychology
- Human Growth and Development
- Counseling Theories and Techniques
- Substance Abuse - Addictions
- Individual Counseling
- Group Dynamics
- Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Assessment and Treatment
Who will be teaching you?
We have a great team of professionals, strongly dedicated to provide you with the best quality of education and making your experience at TCI memorable and rewarding.
Why should you choose Human Services at TCI?
- We are conveniently located in the heart of New York City, with easy access from all five boroughs and the neighboring states: New Jersey and Connecticut
- You can earn your degree in as little as two years. Full course offerings are available three times a year. We are presently delivering courses in a hybrid format - the course time is divided between classrooms and online. This delivery system provides you with greater time flexibility and allows you to save money on th commute. If you don't have access to the computer, our library and computer labs are available to you to complete your assignments.
- We invite you to start networking early by joining one of your clubs: Human Services Club and or Multicultural Club. By becoming a member, you will not only be doing meaningful work in the community, but you will also be building a network of professionals and making life-long freindships.
What after TCI?
Many of our alumni continue to pursue higher degrees in such colleges as: Lehman, Monroe, Borough of Manhattan Community College, Columbia University, Mercy College, NYC College of Technology, Hunter College and many others.
Our graduates who work in the field hold positions such as: Intake Specialist, Assistant Counselor, In Field Case Worker, Assistant to the Direct of Student of Activities to name a few.