Academic Records 

TCI College provides thorough and complete information regarding your academic records to ensure a thorough understanding of the College’s policies and student rights.

Learn more about:

For information on calculating a grade point average (GPA), final examination and other policy details, please visit the office of student affairs, room 101.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete (INC) grade may be given in only extraordinary cases. It is intended for students who have not completed their course requirements (but would have passed had the missed requirements been met) by the end of the semester due to:

  • Illness
  • Family circumstances
  • Emergencies (that can be documented)

A student who receives an INC grade is not considered to have fulfilled the requirements for the course, which will, therefore, not count as a completed pre- or co-requisite for any subsequent course. Students will not be able to register until the INC is converted to a grade.

When an INC grade is granted, an Incomplete Grade Notification Form will be filled out by the instructor and mailed to the student. A Student should make arrangements as soon as possible with his/her instructor so the INC grade can be changed to a specified letter grade (A to F or HPR, APR, LPR and FR) in a timely manner. This grade conversion should be a high priority, as the student is unable to register if a grade change form is not processed by the add/drop deadline.

The INC grade will remain on the student’s record for the first two weeks of the subsequent semester. All INC grades that are not converted to a specified letter grade by the end of this two week period will be converted, by the Registrar’s Office, to the grade of F. By finishing all work by the last day of midterm exams, the student has the opportunity to convert this F grade to a passing grade. (Students in non-degree programs may have different procedures and requirements, which will be made available whenever such programs are offered.)

Failing Grades

Students receive failing grades when their class or laboratory work, quizzes, tests, assignments, class participation and attendance do not meet the minimum requirement for a passing grade. These factors are set by the instructor at the beginning of the semester to determine the final grade for a particular course.

Students who receive a failing grade in a required course must retake—and pass—the course in order for it to satisfy applicable pre- and/or co-requisite requirements.

Change of Grades

Official grades may be changed by an instructor in response to a student’s appeal before the semester’s last day of midterm exams, following the one in which the course was taken. Any exceptions must be approved by the Academic Dean and the Provost. Valid reasons for changing a grade include:

  • Entry error.
  • Computation error.
  • Transcribing error.
  • A portion of the student’s work was overlooked.
  • A student’s work is reevaluated during the course.

To alter a given grade, a Change of Grade Form must be filled out by the instructor and approved by a Financial Aid Director and the Dean of the appropriate academic division. It is then submitted to the Registrar’s Office where it will be recorded in the student’s permanent record. If for any reason the instructor of the course is unavailable, the chairperson of the division will make the decision to change the grade.

Changing Majors

Students looking to change majors may do so before the beginning of a new semester (no later than the last day of registration). The student must consult with a Student Affairs Counselor who will review the student’s original test scores and grades, make a determination and submit any approved change to the Office of the Registrar. Please note: Changing majors may extend the amount of time required to complete a degree and may have financial implications.

Schedule Changes

A $25 schedule change fee will be charged every time a change is made after the original schedule has been issued.

Degree Requirements

Students must satisfy the degree requirements for their program of study that are in effect at the beginning of their first semester. Degree requirements may be changed by the College in the event that the student:

  • Has not attended the College for three or more semesters and must have their academic record reviewed by a Dean or designee to determine the degree requirements under which the student will re-enter. In these cases, the College’s policy is to have the student adhere to the current degree requirements of the program.
  • Currently attends/has attended for the past 12 months and may request a Dean’s review and seek approval to have the current degree requirements apply to them.
  • Changes majors and must adhere to the degree requirements of the new major that are in effect at the time they begin study in the new major.


Students looking to officially withdraw from a course or program of study should meet with a counselor in the Office of Student Affairs. An Official Withdrawal Request Form must be completed by the student. Students withdrawing after the add/drop period (but before the last day to withdraw without academic penalty) will receive a grade of WO on their transcript. The grade of WU cannot be changed to a WO (please refer to the college calendar in the catalog for each semester’s specific dates). Students who withdraw after the deadline will be assigned a letter grade, based on the individual determination of the instructor.

Withdrawals may result in serious problems for the student, such as:

  • Issues with course sequencing and scheduling.
  • Reductions in financial aid.
  • Inability to maintain an adequate GPA.

Students who complete the spring semester, but do not enroll in the optional summer semester, are not considered withdrawals.  

Students in non-degree programs may have different procedures and requirements, which will be made available whenever such programs are offered.

Presidential Scholar and Dean’s List Honors

Every semester, student recognition is given to students who achieve a high level of scholastic excellence. Students who earn at least 12 credits and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.85 or higher are recognized as presidential scholars. In addition, students with a semester GPA of 3.5 or higher (without any F or WU grades) are posted on the College’s dean’s list. Honored students are notified each semester in writing and are invited to attend an award ceremony.

Privacy of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA; the Buckley Amendment), grants all eligible students the right to access their own education records. This law prohibits access to, or release of, personally identifiable information (other than directory information), without written consent. FERPA of 1974 is affected by Section 510 of the Veterans Education Act of 1976 (P.L. 94-502), which provides that “records and accounts pertaining to veterans as well as those of other students shall be available for examination by our government representatives.”

The following education records are considered subject to FERPA:

  • Education records in the Office of Student Affairs.
  • Academic records in the Office of the Registrar.
  • Financial records in the Student Financial Services Office.
  • Immunization records in the Office of the Registrar.

College policy does not permit access to, or release of, student records to any party other than the student or appropriate College staff, or as authorized by this law, except in cases of emergencies of health or safety. 

Student Rights Under the Family of Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), as Amended:

  1. The right to inspect and review their education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.
    Written requests should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. The request must identify the record(s) that the student wishes to inspect. The Registrar will notify the student concerning when and where the records may be inspected. If the Office of the Registrar does not maintain the records in question, the Registrar will advise the student of the correct college official to whom the request should be made.
  1. The right to request the amendment of a record that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading.
    A request must be made in writing to the college official responsible for the record, must clearly identify the record the student wants changed, and must specify why the student believes that the record is inaccurate or misleading.
    FERPA was not intended to provide a process to be used to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. The right to challenge is not intended to allow students to contest, for example, a grade in a course because they feel that higher grade should have been assigned.
    If the College decides not to make the amendment to the record that the student requested, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing will be provided with the notification of the right to a hearing.
  1. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education record, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
    One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate education interest. A “school official” is a person employed by the College; a person or company with whom the College has contracted; a person serving on the board of directors; or a student who is serving on an official committee or who is assisting a school official in performing his/her responsibilities. A school official has legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibility.
  1. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA.The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC, 20202-4605
  1. The right to restrict the disclosure of public or directory information. 
    FERPA allows the College to disclose public or directory information without the student’s consent. The College designates the following as directory information: Student’s name, local and permanent home addresses, telephone numbers, campus email address, other personal email address, date and place of birth, academic level, enrollment status (full-time/part-time status), major/minor area of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the name of the most recent educational institution previously attended, the student’s photograph, and the names and addresses of the student’s parents/guardians.
    Students may restrict the disclosure of directory information, except to school officials with legitimate educational interest and others as outlined in #3 above. To do so, the student must complete the Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information form available in the Registrar’s Office in room 145. Once filed, this request becomes a permanent part of the student’s record until he or she instructs the College, in writing, to remove it by filling out an Authorization to Release Educational Records form.
    For the purpose of compliance with FERPA, the College considers all students independent.
    Any questions concerning FERPA should be directed to the Office of the Registrar. A copy of FERPA regulations is available in the Office of the Registrar, upon request.


Official transcripts of grades are issued by the Office of the Registrar upon receipt of a signed written request and payment of required fees by the student or former student who does not have a hold on their records. Students must have a zero balance on their student account to receive transcripts.

*Unofficial transcripts can be printed by the student from their student portal or obtained at the Office of the Registrar.